Monday, July 21, 2014

High TIde and Low Tide


The Peace Corps, in my opinion, is a roller coaster of emotion and mental tribulation. It is the only time in my life when I could feel on top of the world at noon and be ready to write off the entire human population by dinner. It is very difficult, yet rewarding living in another culture. It is not a glamorous lifestyle in the least bit, and the immediate results of our work essentially do not exist on most days. Very often I reflect on my days wondering what exactly I am here for. It is in those moments that something happens to bring me back to my reality that I am here for my service… not to make myself feel better. Any help I give is worth my time being here, and that’s one thing that a volunteer can never forget. Just being here, at times, is opening up people’s minds to outsiders and new ideas. I am, in the very least, here as a cross cultural experience. There is no elaborate way to “save” the world. All we can do is live one day at a time. I remember in a wonderful organization I worked with in college, we did highs and lows after every day of service. We would go around the circle and everyone would give their highs and lows of the day. Well I have been doing that in my journal every day for a while during my service. I am going to share some of these highs and lows, just to give my friends and family an idea of the mental side of my service. Just keep in mind, these have been highs and lows throughout the past 10 months. There is some varying degree day to day.
Goodbye Picnic in Imala with some students... bittersweet

Lows:

People have been making fun of me all day for the way I am speaking Portuguese that I began to learn just months ago. I am trying to learn Macua, but no one helps, they just laugh at me. I told a friend that I would help on his machamba and he laughed at me, saying that white people cannot wake up at 4am and 5km is too far for me to walk. My girlfriend of over a year broke up with me today over a whatsapp message and refused to call me to talk about it. My ankle is swollen like a softball from this stupid infection. I was yelled at by a doctor saying that us Americans are too controlling and should not be here helping their country… we should mind our own business. Today, I was told that I am too selfish and that I need to give more money to my community. I was held at knife point by an 8 year old in my own yard. I saw a 12 year old being dragged across the sand, half naked, while 50+ people yelled and screamed that he was a thief. Today I got bit on the butt by a dog haha. I have to leave Imala today, as I am being transferred to Lichinga. The district forgot to send a car to pick up my science fair kids and I, and when we finally got there they yelled at me for being late. I got punched in the face and my Iphone stolen today, good story huh? One of my students left school and is being forced into marriage. Keith got engaged and I probably will not be able to go to his wedding. I had to give 44 zeroes to students for cheating on their tests today.

Highs:

I got to skype my mom today! My student Benson asked me for extra help after class with a circuit problem. I got to travel to Monopo with my girl’s empowerment group and give them that experience to travel outside of Imala. My students won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in this district science fair for 8th-10th grade! I was complimented on my Portuguese by a Portuguese volunteer that I met. Ari and I finished out education mural on the school today. Peixonete and Iro, 2 little boys, told me that I was a good cook. I spent the day exploring Ilha de Mozambique. My dad is buying his tickets to visit me in December, this week. My new pedagogical director thanked me for my time here to help them at the school. I made a photo album with pictures of friends and family. I got to go camping on Lake Niassa this weekend. I met the director of the Hospital here in Lichinga. My students asked me for an extra class because they wanted to continue learning about chemical reactions. My students told me that I speak better Portuguese than most white people they know. I played soccer with some kids. I got to hike up a mountain in Montepuez and enjoy the beautiful country. I cooked lunch on firewood for 200 people with Sonia today. I have the opportunity to help organize and set up a chemistry lab in one of the Lichinga high schools.

I wish I could exactly explain how many emotions are felt on a daily basis here, but I have giving into the cold, hard fact that I will not be able to accurately express it. Through the tough and easy, all we can keep doing is enjoying every moment we have.

1 comment:

  1. Nick, you're having the most intense and incredible experience. Obviously, the highs and lows will be the same. Thanks for sharing how it really feels out there. It seems like your new location is going to be a lot more pro. :) Here's a virtual hug & fist bump from Chicago, hopefully ending up in the plus column. ; D

    ReplyDelete