Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Am I Ready Yet? (Peace Corps Update)

By popular request, let me walk you through what my application process has been like. I submitted my application in April of 2012. I had an interview in July of 2012 during camp war eagle. After that I learned I had been nominated for some jobs in Africa. After months and months of waiting, I was given an invitation to teach in Mozambique on April 22nd of 2013. A year after submitting my application, my dream had come true. Since then I have received 10 shots, countless blood work, completed online safety courses, written and rewritten resumes, and submitted applications for a visa and government passport. I am happy to say that at the end of July I was officially granted full medical and legal clearance. It is completely official, but the work has just begun. We will fly to Philadelphia and be there for a couple days of orientation, then fly out on September 26th. Before then I must prepare myself. I have been gathering addresses, making a packing list, visiting family, putting all my music and movies on a hard drive(which I hope will be usable at my site), begun my studies in Portuguese, and overall began mentally preparing myself. We are allowed to bring 2 checked bags to Mozambique. This means 80-100lbs of stuff for 27 months in Africa. It is going to take some sacrifice. I have been communicating with a few people that will be leaving in my group, and we are all very excited. I am gathering some basic info about Mozambique that I will share with everyone in my next post. So get ready for a history and culture lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment